Quantifying Emotions: Creating a Racial Battle Fatigue Scale

I apologize for posting my article late.

I believe this article is important for several reasons but primarily because work on emotions are important the ability to quantify anything in research is a powerful tool. I wholeheartedly agree with the authors who state that “developing and validating a scale appropriate for RBF study is an important first step in assessing and furthering the research of racial microaggressions”. Although the article is filled with mostly the key findings and results I am more interested in a discussion of the themes used, a critical look at the questions asked and maybe some questions for the authors because I planned on contacting them.

Also, because we all are looking at some aspect of the human experience, I am wondering about how others feel with the idea of quantifying something as subjective and personal as lived experiences.

1 thought on “Quantifying Emotions: Creating a Racial Battle Fatigue Scale

1. David Walters Jr.

For those that deal with issues of race on a daily basis, as recipient of daily racial microaggressions, life really sucks sometimes. Many people deal with microaggressions with respect to all types of issues and concerns and I believe that everyone deals in some way shape form or fashion. For the purposes of this article and with regards to race, microaggressions are dangerous actions that can cause psychological, physiological and behavioral damages. In order to learn more about this phenomenon and who is affected, the first thing I would suggest is the development of a scale that is validated which would represent how racial microaggressions can be measure across factors of race, gender, level of educational attainment, demographics of the environment and SES. So many students in higher education have limited experience dealing with being the other or being with the other. For those that do that experience may be positive, negative or mixed. It could be full and rich, average or little to none. Once a scale is developed and quantitative theories of analyses are chosen the items the factors and items for research should be fashioned to questions developed and validated through research squad and committee. I would develop two to four models and choose the best based on the sampling adequacy index of your choosing. I like the simplistic, strongly agree to strongly disagree five-part scale for this phenomenon. I like the idea of microaggressions and I believe that much can be learned from this phenomena. A bricolage of critical race theory and microaggressions would be a great start. We should definitely talk because this looks like a lot of fun. I’m interested in talking more about methodology.